Website Flour Bakery + Cafe
Make Life Sweeter - Eat Dessert First!
Do you like to eat (and make) award winning baked goods and sandwiches?
Do you like managing an all-star team in a wonderful environment?
If so, do we have an opportunity for you! Flour Bakery + Cafe is now hiring for an Assistant Bakery Pastry Chef to join our growing team at our Big Kitchen in the Seaport! This person will work with owner Joanne Chang and the entire Flour team to ensure that the missions of Flour are being met at all times.
The Assistant Bakery Pastry Chef primarily focuses on the food, community, environment and efficiency tenets of our mission. Success in the Assistant Bakery Pastry Chef role includes incredible attention to product while developing team members by providing on-going coaching and training in order to ensure high performance and effective succession planning.
Day-to-Day Performance Expectations:
- Keep lines of communication open between you, the bakery pastry chef, the production pastry managers and you and the staff; come to weekly meetings with bakery pastry chef with an agenda of items to work on as well as questions and issues
- Work with the production pastry chef to train your judgment to align with Flour’s Mom Test
- Support the bakers in their work; correct issues, help make smooth transitions with changes, jump in to help manage workload, maintain a calm and composed demeanor regardless of whatever is going on
- Attend bi weekly BK manager meetings
- Maintain a clean and organized pastry kitchen including work station, ovens, walk in/freezer, and dry storage
- Lead weekly tastings and follow-up with team members any feedback on the food
- Write an eight hour production list for each baker with room for flexibility
- Maintain strict sanitation standards for you and your team, adhering to both city and state regulations; keep ServSafe certification up to date
- Work with the production pastry chef, BKGM, Facilities Manager to fix any equipment issues
- Be vigilant with product quality; taste three things daily; take note of any pastry that is not normal looking, constantly be looking at what’s being made
- Hire or interview new staff for your team with the support of the bakery pastry chef
- Train new staff on product, procedures, and the way we do things at Flour
- Assist with staff reviews and be a vocal part of the management team in terms of feedback for your bakers
- Be approachable for questions from all staff; keep a pulse on staff – frustrations and goals
- Check email daily and respond in a timely manner to email correspondence
- Check the schedule for the production pastry chef before it goes out
- Learn the menu to the extent of being able to execute a production list in a timely manner
Skills for Qualification:
- Performance that consistently demonstrates an active passion for Flour and our mission
- Eager to learn
- Open to feedback and committed to continuous improvement
- Dedicated to exceeding the expectations of guests and staff
- Excellent attendance, reliability, communication and interpersonal skills
- Readily adaptable to change
- Embraces new information and learns quickly
- Experience coaching, training, and developing others
- Attention to detail
- Continuously demonstrated ability to lead and provide excellent customer service
- Actively problem solves using sound judgment
- Effective time management and delegation skills
- At least two years of management or supervisory experience
- At least two years of professional baking experience
- Proven and on-going ability to grow sales and control costs
Flour offers a fantastic work environment, an unparalleled commitment to training and communication to make you a better baker (plus all the pastries you can eat)! We offer benefits such as health/dental/vision insurance, 401k with a generous match, a transportation subsidy in early mornings if you don’t own a car, paid vacation/sick time, a great staff meal policy, and regular field trips to other bakeries and pastry businesses. We offer a real commitment to growth – both in your pastry knowledge and to growing into more senior positions if that is an interest of yours!
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com