Website Community Servings
Job Title: Executive Chef Reports To: Chief Culinary Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt Department: Kitchen
Labor Status: Non-Union Approved By/Date: CCO
Community Servings is a non-profit food and nutrition program focused on the nutritional needs of underserved populations across the state. Over the past 32 years, we have delivered over 11 million free, scratch-made meals to individuals experiencing chronic and critical illnesses in the context of medical nutrition therapy.
Community Servings knows that diversity drives excellence. We are a place where everyone is welcome. We celebrate, promote, and derive strength from a diversity of lived experiences. We actively seek and encourage an inclusive workforce.
Summary: The Executive Chef is responsible for providing leadership to the Production Kitchen staff members and volunteers in the preparation and cooking of the highest quality, nutritionally balanced meals for the clients of Community Servings. This responsibility includes fostering a culture of excellence in the Kitchen and providing direct oversight of preparing meals, soups, salad and bakery, food safety and sanitation and employee safety as well as conducting effective inventory management and financial performance. This role works closely with the Senior Packaging Manager to create unified leadership in fulfilling the vision for our meal program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Leads by example and demonstrates Community Servings’ commitment to making clients’ safety, nutritional needs and overall well-being our first priority
· Creates a culture of culinary quality and curiosity.
Cultivates a positive team-oriented work environment
· Sets a tone of warmth, support and an energetic workflow in the Kitchen
· Actively seeks opportunities to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of how we fulfill the Community Servings’ mission
· Identifies potential in staff, trainees and volunteers and nurtures growth and creativity
· Offers coaching, teaching and recognition on a regular basis
Serves as a role model to the Kitchen staff by maintaining high personal standards regarding timeliness, integrity, attendance, work ethic, interfacing with staff and volunteers and complying with all agency policies and practices.
Establishes and communicates team goals that support the Kitchen’s strategic and operational priorities.
Works closely with all leadership team members to support collaboration and effective interaction between departments
Works closely with the Teaching Kitchen leadership to facilitate an impactful and meaningful learning experience for trainees during assigned time in the Kitchen
Management & Supervision
Provides day-to-day leadership and management of the production functions of the Kitchen
Supervises the Production Manager, Chefs, Cooks, Porters and Receivers
Initiates and facilitates hiring and on-boarding activities related to the Kitchen
Ensures that hiring and management practices are conducted in compliance with union and agency requirements
Ensures kitchen staff (i.e. regular and temporary) are oriented and trained at the onset of employment (e.g. cooking procedures, recipes, equipment location, food handling, special diets, safety procedures, etc.)
Provides ongoing and regular teaching and coaching of staff and trainees
Manages the kitchen staff’s performance (e.g. preparation, cooking, cleaning, attendance, punctuality, productivity, recordkeeping, etc.) by conducting performance evaluations, creating development plans, managing the corrective action process and recommending disciplinary action when necessary
Manages the staffing schedule, ensuring appropriate staffing for the required workload
Processes payroll for supervised staff
Conducts annual staff performance reviews in a timely fashion
Updates Kitchen staff job descriptions to reflect changes in work roles as appropriate
Daily Kitchen Operations
· Oversees all Kitchen operations and supervises the Kitchen staff in the receipt, preparation, cooking, cooling, handling and storage of daily food production.
· Conducts advanced planning and provides the Kitchen staff with written daily task lists for all preparation stations, ensuring that activity is appropriately delegated
· Interacts daily with the Volunteer, Program, Client Services and Delivery staff to ensure a timely and accurate meal production to align with the meal delivery schedule
· Ensures that all diet requirements are met by directing staff to follow recipes and obtaining approval from the Manager of Nutrition Services for any recipe substitutions
· Creates and follows Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for the Kitchen in compliance with Federal and State regulations and Agency policies
· Communicates and reinforces SOPs and other Agency policies
· Creates and maintains a system for production quality control checks in partnership with the CCO, Packaging Kitchen Manager and Manager of Nutrition Services
· Performs logistical planning for holiday events and special projects as requested
· Manages catering function e.g. luncheons, meetings, other special events
· Performs cooking to supplement staffing needs when necessary
· Contributes regular and special diet menu planning, ensuring that the nutritional needs of our clients are met in a cost-effective manner in partnership with the CCO and Manager of Nutrition Services
· Ensures that the regular and special diet meals produced are of the highest quality and nutritionally balanced based on taste, visual observation, and other sensory assessment
Safety & Sanitation
· Establishes, communicates and enforces Kitchen safety and sanitation policies to be followed by staff, trainees and volunteers in partnership with the CCO.
· Ensures compliance with federal and state government food handling and storage regulations through the establishment and enforcement of sanitation and ServSafe food handling procedures and the completion of all forms and logs in a timely and correct manner
· Creates a comprehensive Kitchen environmental management program and ensures that daily task lists for team members are completed
· Oversees that the Kitchen, equipment and internal and external storage areas are washed and cleaned in order to pass regular and non-routine inspections by the City of Boston Inspectional Services
· Manages operations in compliance with health department requirements
· Attends inspection walkthroughs and ensures that action plans are facilitated if necessary
· Serves on the Agency’s Safety Committee
Budget & Inventory Management
· Supports the goal of ensuring that all requests for ordering of food and supplies are conducted in a cost-effective manner according to budgetary, quality and physical space constraints.
· Communicates kitchen equipment needs to the CCO and ensures that supplies, equipment, tools, dishware and silverware are properly used, stored, cleaned and maintained
· Supports an accurate inventory by proper inventory receipt, control and storage
· Annually develops and routinely ensures adherence to the Kitchen and Purchasing budgets by using the most cost-effective methods and approaches
· Supports expense management of staff costs and overtime expense and food and supply costs.
· Attends key events to represent Community Servings
· Communicates equipment repair and maintenance needs to Facilities Manager in a timely fashion
· Performs all other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the experience, knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Ability to work effectively with employees, volunteers, vendors and clients of different cultural and ethnic persuasions
· Ability to effectively communicate in written, verbal, presentation and listening formats within a multi-cultural environment
· Bilingual Spanish/English is a plus
· Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
· Experienced in using electronic inventory management and payroll systems
· Experience in large-scale food service operations
· Basic knowledge of nutrition
· Strong knowledge about food handling, food safety and safety procedures
· Experience working in a unionized environment preferred, but not required
· Knowledgeable about cost-effective inventory management including ordering, receipt, storage and invoice processing
· Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, influence and control functional operations
· Ability to work cooperatively with other departments in order to meet functional responsibilities to our clients
· Ability to work evenings and weekends is periodically required
· ServSafe Certified
· Culinary Degree preferred
· 10+ years of experience in varied Kitchen operations including production or institutional settings with at least
· 5+ years of supervisory/management experience with recipe and menu writing
· Executive Chef experience preferred
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to cold, hot, wet or humid conditions (non-weather) and work near moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision and Peripheral vision. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com