We’re looking for a part-time to full-time baker to join our staff to with both bread and pastry. We are an artisan bakery, with a focus on sourdough breads and locally milled grains. This position requires at least one year of professional baking experience.
General job description: Initially at least, this position will be focused on regularly mixing a variety of bread doughs in small to large quantities, multiple days a week. Of course, there will be a range of other tasks as well, including general prep work, pastry projects, cleaning up after yourself, etc — flexibility is important. There is the potential for an expanded role over time, depending on skill, experience, scheduling, and the availability of training time.
- At least one year of professional baking experience with a basic knowledge of bread and pastry, and willingness to learn. General kitchen experience would be helpful as well.
- Available to reliably work very early mornings, weekends, and days leading up to Thanksgiving (our busiest time of the year).
- Ability to properly wear a mask throughout the shift (for the foreseeable future).
- Cleanliness and tidiness — follow all food safety regulations.
- Ability to stand for up to 8-10 hours. Physical ability to take multiple trips up and down stairs to basement, and to lift 50lb bags of flour.
- Ability to take direction but also work independently.
- Must have an open mind. We’re still a young business and regularly making changes, so we’re open to fresh input and new ideas but do have our own set style and specific methods to follow.
Schedule/pay: Schedule is somewhat flexible but must include availability on weekends, lead up to holidays, and the potential for very early mornings (i.e. 3am start times). Starting schedule will likely consist of about 20hr/week Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday throughout training. Reasonable flexibility to accommodate the right person. Pay commensurate with experience.
More about us: We’re a small retail bakery with just a handful of experienced employees on Broadway in Arlington — not far from the Somerville, Medford, and Cambridge areas. Our focus is on sourdough breads, using locally milled flours, but we also make a variety of pastries, depending on the season (croissants will be back soon when the weather cools down). We try to keep the workplace pretty casual (maybe even fun?) but with a serious attention to quality and consistency in the actual products.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com