$16.00 an hour.
Operating under special use permit with the US Forest Service since 1983, Camp Dodge has served as the base of operations for the AMC’s White Mountain staff and volunteer trail maintenance efforts. After significant renovations and facility improvements in 2019, Camp Dodge re-opened in 2020. We look ahead to the 2021 season as an opportunity to expand our operations, serving as staff housing for all AMC trail staff, a hub for trail volunteer programming, and a training center for regional conservation partners. Covid-19 protocols and restrictions will remain in effect at Camp Dodge until public health guidance indicates it is safe to modify our practices.
Camp Dodge is located four miles north of Pinkham Notch Visitor Center within the White Mountain National Forest and enjoys one of the finest views of the Northern Presidential Range. Housing is available on-site at Camp Dodge.
The Appalachian Mountain Club values diversity, equity and inclusion. We welcome hardworking individuals from all backgrounds, cultures, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, and abilities. AMC welcomes all candidates to apply and we invite the full participation of all individuals currently underrepresented in the outdoor community. This includes, but is not limited to, individuals from racially and or ethnically diverse communities, individuals with disabilities, individuals from LGBTQ+ communities, and individuals who experience intersectionality with one or more of these identities.
· Open and set up the kitchen at the start of the season, and pack up and close the kitchen at the end of the season.
· Prepare and serve all meals at scheduled times, as well as occasional snacks, coffee breaks, receptions, etc.
· Work weeks are typically 40 hours, but additional hours may be required. The daily schedule is typically split between an early morning breakfast, time off mid-day, and then a dinner shift. Working on weekends, nights and holidays will be required.
· Create appropriate menus for groups of various sizes (up to 150) using recipes for consistency, cost control, and appealing presentation, avoiding unnecessary waste.
· Know how to modify menus or provide alternatives to accommodate any food allergy or dietary restriction.
· Clean, sanitize and inspect all areas maintained by the kitchen staff on a daily basis, as needed, to exceed New Hampshire Board of Health standards.
· Coordinate schedules and responsibilities for the Camp Crew, who assist in the kitchen and cover the Head Cook’s days off.
· Order necessary food and supplies.
· Maintain kitchen appliances.
· Support and direct kitchen staff in the preparation and cleaning duties for breakfast, lunch, and dinner set-ups and breakdowns.
· Actively participate in recycling, composting, use of green materials and local food programs.
· Promote and provide up to date information on the mission, services and programs of the AMC.
· Plan and attend training and supervisory meetings on site and at other facilities as required.
· Consistently request feedback from staff and guests and implement improvements based on feedback.
· Adhere to all AMC, state and federal Covid-19 protocols for food service, kitchen and dining area sanitation, and ensure that the Camp Crew do the same.
· Perform any and all other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
· Kitchen, cooking and sanitation experience, particularly in a setting similar to Camp Dodge.
· Exceptional customer service, organization, attention to detail, and the ability to lead a diverse team while managing multiple tasks simultaneously.
· Flexibility with regard to schedule is required. This position starts on May 3, and ends on October 15.
· Familiarity with the White Mountain National Forest and enthusiasm for AMC programs and mission is preferred.
· Commitment to creating equitable and inclusive environment for all of Camp Dodge’s guests, employees, and constituents.
· Understanding of health codes and standards
· Ability to lift up to 40 pounds, stand and walk, bend, twist, and reach.
· Utilize step ladders and cleaning equipment.
· Housing is available at Camp Dodge. Room and board is $45/week.
· AMC Membership
· 30% Staff discount on AMC retail products
· 4 Free Nights at AMC Huts, Lodges, and other facilities while employed
For more information:
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org